KUALA KANGSAR: Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz described Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's application to disqualify the prosecution team in his sodomy trial as illogical.
"I challenge Anwar, if he is innocent, let the trial proceed. Otherwise, there will be no prosecutors to prosecute him," he said in response to the Parti Keadilan Rakyat adviser's leave application for a judicial review to disqualify the prosecutors.
The seven-man prosecution team is led by Solicitor-General 1 Datuk Idrus Harun. Anwar made the application on Aug 11.
"Anwar is afraid of the trial. The prosecution should be seen as a prosecuting unit and not looked upon as an individual... they will prosecute whether they love him (Anwar) or not," he said after presenting Hari Raya contributions to 600 poor people at Padang Rengas, near here, yesterday.
"We are normally only worried about the judge and not the prosecution as there is a possibility that his neutrality can be disputed. We can then apply to have the judge excuse himself."
In March, Anwar, 62, claimed trial to sodomising his former personal aide, Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan, 24, at a condominium in Bukit Damansara between 3.01pm and 4.30pm on June 26 last year. Hearing has been fixed for Nov 3. - NST